Move to Singapore from Australia - Legal Assistance in Immigration
Move to Singapore from AustraliaUpdated on Friday 07th January 2022
Rate this article
based on 3 reviews.
based on 3 reviews.
If you plan to move to Singapore from Australia, you have to prepare your immigration paperwork, which may differ depending on the purpose of stay and the duration of stay in this country. As a general rule, the regulations for immigration in Singapore are quite complex and the issuance of visas is limited to very few visa options, compared to the variety of visas prescribed by other jurisdictions.
However, for Australians interested to relocate to Singapore, rules can be a little less restrictive compared to the ones applicable to the nationals of most countries, because such citizens are not required to apply for a visa when they arrive here.
Our team of lawyers in Singapore can present more information regarding this matter and can offer legal representation and advice to those who want to live here for a longer period of time. Our team is qualified to represent you in the process of renting a property for the duration of the stay.
When is the visa exemption granted to Australians?
Australians can easily move to Singapore for a limited period of time without the need of obtaining a visa in specific situations. This means that the visa exemption is not granted to all categories of situations that are prescribed by the law on immigration in Singapore.
For instance, Australians who immigrate to Singapore can arrive here without completing any visa formalities in the case in which they arrive here for a period of maximum 90 days. After this, like in other countries, the local institutions will require foreigners to apply for temporary residency and those who know they need to stay in this country for a longer period of time than the 90 days period may need to comply with other immigration rules.
Although for other nations the requirement to have a valid visa even for short-term stays applies, for Australia it is not the case, as the country is on the list of states with which Singapore has completed various immigration agreements. Thus, one can move to Singapore from Australia without having an entry visa.
Please mind that even though Australians benefit from this simpler immigration rule, they do need to comply with minimum basic requirements. Also, in the context of Covid-19 pandemic, all foreigners who move to Singapore for a short-term period or for long-term purposes, regardless of the reason of the arrival, have to complete a set of formalities related solely to health and safety measures.
What are the entry conditions for Australians?
As a part of the countries that are visa exempted, Australian citizens can arrive here without a visa, but they do have to meet minimum standard rules. In the list below, our law firm in Singapore prepared the main requirements Australians should expect, but if you need further details, our lawyers are always at your service:
- according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Singapore, foreigners must have a passport that is valid for at least six months;
- in order to move to Singapore from Australia, one must have sufficient financial funds;
- the foreigner must also have submitted an Electronic Arrival Card;
- the foreigner should also present information on the arrival date and the departure date (if applicable);
- if all these are in order, then the foreigner will receive a Visit Pass.
Useful things to know if you move to Singapore from Australia
Whether you want to immigrate to Singapore on a short-term basis or a long-term basis, as foreigner, you will be interested in knowing the cost of living in this country. Singapore has one of the highest cost of living at a global level, but also one of the highest standards of living, but this should not be a major issue for an Australian, as Australia is a large and competitive economy. Below, our team of lawyers in Singapore have prepared a short presentation on the basic costs one should expect:
- renting a property in Singapore can cost minimum $700 to maximum $2,000, but this refers to prices for private or public housing units with a shared bathroom;
- those who want a regular apartment (a studio or a one bedroom apartment) should expect to pay $1,500-$4,500 per month;
- if you plan to move to Singapore and become a permanent resident, then you can become eligible to purchase a property, and this can cost $1,500-$3,000 per month;
- if you are interested to purchase a vehicle, it is worth knowing that they are very expensive and all the costs associated can reach $1,000 to $2,000 per month;
- the most suitable alternative for transportation is public transportation, which can have a cost of $100 to S120 per month (all prices refer to the 2021 prices).
In the case you need more information on how to move to Singapore from Australia, we invite you to contact our lawyer. Our law firm in Singapore can present valuable information for all foreigners who want to relocate here. We can also represent foreigners who arrive from Australia as temporary or permanent residents and we can inform them on the applicable immigration procedures.