Legal Requirements for Obtaining Citizenship in Singapore - 2022 Guide
Legal Requirements for Obtaining Citizenship in SingaporeUpdated on Tuesday 05th April 2022
based on 1 reviews.
Obtaining Singapore citizenship in 2022
Becoming a Singapore citizen has many benefits for those relocating to the city-state. The nationality law derives from the Singapore Civil Law which allows a foreign citizen to obtain Singapore citizenship if they meet certain requirements. There are several ways of acquiring citizenship in Singapore. These are:
- - citizenship by birth,
- - citizenship by descent,
- - citizenship by registration,
- - citizenship by naturalization,
- - citizenship by investment.
For information related to obtaining citizenship by investment and its qualification requirements you can refer to our law firm in Singapore.
As a general rule, the legislation on obtaining citizenship in Singapore has not been subjected to any amendments lately. However, those who are interested in starting the application process should address to a lawyer specialized in immigration matters; it is also recommended to verify the current fees one may need to pay. For instance, in 2022, the processing of the application fee is of S$100, according to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
All successful applicants will have to pay a fee of $70 in 2022 for the issuance of the Singapore Citizenship Certificate. For the issuance of the identity document there is a small fee, of $10. This fee is charged only for persons who have an age above 15 years old.
Applying for a Singapore passport
In order to obtain a Singapore passport, foreign citizens must comply with certain requirements depending on the way they want to obtain citizenship. The following categories of foreign citizens can apply for Singapore citizenship:
- - persons who are least 21 years old and have a Singapore permanent residence permit for at least 2 years,
- - the spouses of Singapore citizens who have been married for at least 2 years and have a permanent residence permit for the same period of time,
- - children who have at least a parent who is a Singapore citizen.
All foreign citizens applying for a Singapore passport must have a clean criminal record, must be willing to relocate to the city-state and live there permanently and must be able to support themselves and their families.
Documents required to apply for citizenship in Singapore
Foreign citizens relocating to Singapore are required to submit the following documents when applying for citizenship:
- - an application form,
- - the passport,
- - a recent passport-size photo,
- - the residence permit,
- - the birth certificate,
- - the identity card,
- - a marriage or divorce certificate, death certificate of the spouse, if applicable,
- - education diplomas,
- - a letter of employment from the Singapore company, if applicable,
- - an income tax notice for the past 3 years,
- - proof of payments related to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) in the last year,
- - the balance sheet of the company, if the applicant has opened a company in Singapore,
- - birth certificate and passport of the children, if applicable.
All documents must be provided in original or certified copies. Our Singapore lawyers provide notary services. You can also contact us if you want to open a company in Singapore.